Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"I've never been so happy to hear the French!"

Hurley: How exactly does something like this happen?
Danielle: Are you on the same island as I am?

I wasn't a huge LOST fan from the beginning. I didn't start watching until the middle of season four, during the writers' strike. Sarah and I blew through the previous seasons in two or months; I had an addiction that was definitely time-consuming. I had previously been a huge fan of the Discovery Channel Kids rip-off show "Flight 29 DWN" and I was already really into survival-type stories and conspiracy theories, so it was just my kind of show. Things got even more fascinating in later seasons with the sociological and scientific implications of the story.

And then last January season five came and nothing made sense. A side plot was created and resolved over the entire season without shedding any real light on the over-arching story. Tons of characters died. The characters that were alive got super annoying. The entire season was pointless. The script was terrible, the acting was pretty bad, and the entire season was a waste of time.

But you know what, I am faithful! LOST is starting again in February. The last season. I have waited a year for this and I am so there. I have faith that it's going to be worth it!

In his Sunday school message yesterday, Michael turned to his notes and muttered, "I'm lost . . ." And I turned excitedly toward my friend at the word "LOST" only to realize he wasn't alluding to the television show. Clearly, I have a recognitive defect here. No matter how bad LOST was, I have faith it'll get better. I don't dwell on the dark days of season five, but remember the happy days of season three. I can make this relationship work. And after season six, it'll all be over for good . . .

2 comments:

Michael Au-Mullaney said...

This is like crack addicts. The dealers give new customors the really good stuff, and then once they're hooked they give them the cheap stuff that's cut with something, but the addicts already hooked so they can't really stop now anyway, but what made them want to start in the first place is gone. (the accuracy of this analogy is actually kind of creepy)

Art said...

Having faith where little reason for it is given is weird, but happens to me too.