Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

OMG SOME PAINT YESSSSSS!

Rolled into our worksite just after 7am and got to work. Peter patched (1) around the back window, (2) a slot in the back wall where the shower was, (3) where the hot water heater was, (4) the original location of the outlet we moved, and (5) the fridge vent. He also made wooden mounting plates for our two new 12v outlets. He filled the tires to the appropriate PSI.

Then he turned his attention to a house projects, specifically, replacing the tiles in front of the fridge, which involved cutting away the rotted subfloor, fitting a thin plywood board to reinforce the floor, and laying tiles. (No grout or sealant because the tile mastic needed 72 hours to set.) 

I was on paint-prep duty. I finished sanding the walls, then I sanded the aluminum, then I washed the walls with TSP, then I wiped them down with water. I taped all the windows and fixtures over with newspaper, and then I used self-etching primer on the two end caps and aluminum patches. (It took 4 cans! Omg!) 

Like, it sounds like not a lot, but for some reason it took me like all day. 

I spent a little time looking around for the paint sprayer, but unable to locate it, so I left for a run with the sisters. When I got back, Peter had found the paint sprayer and was testing it with some old blue paint, but the sun had already set and the Alabama game was starting and it didn't seem to be working properly, so I thought, well, paint next weekend . . . 

But my husband is not to be deterred like that. He made our 3rd Home Depot run of the day (first, rivets, second, insulation and more self-etching primer, third, nozzle for paint sprayer) and we got to painting around 8pm. And actually the painting part itself took maybe 15 minutes. We didn't get enough primer! Probably some waste during the testing/unclogging portion, and then I sprayed it on too thick before I got the hang of it--I was so dismayed to see some dripping in some parts! The key is to hold it at least 14" from the wall, and to hold it sideways like you're a gangster about to fire a Glock semi in the movies. 

Next weekend, we will (1) sand down those drips and thick spots, (2) get the ceiling panel attached and (3) finishing priming. May we will just throw the final paint color on there, too, while everything's taped up? 

No comments: