Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2009

What is your name?

The man asked Jacob, "What is your name?" 
"Jacob," he answered.
Genesis 32:27

It was not as thought God didn't know Jacob's name, that He should ask him. It was not as though He asked for the benefit of a third party. Rather, Jacob needed to say it. "Deceiver, that is who I am." When he wrestled with God, Jacob saw who he really was.

Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome."
Genesis 32:28

And so God gave him a new name. Through the pain and the struggles, through the reconciling to those he had deceived, Jacob cast off his old name and gained a new one. Israel. No longer deceiver, but rather, one who has struggled and overcome.

I am Hayley. I am prideful, conceited, unkind. I am angry, impatient, selfish. I am lazy, intolerant, distracted. I can trick myself into thinking I'm more than fine, but I am in desperate need of a Deliverer. And I have been redeemed!

The truth has been placed in my hands, I have been made truly free, with justice placed in my heart. Who I am is no longer my identity. In Christ I have been given a new name - through the pain of who I am and the sin that is my nature, I have overcome. Only through Christ. Though I have struggled against God and resisted His hand, he has been faithful.

How great is my God! To mark the struggling, to humble the prideful, to give me a life of freedom in place of a death in bondage. God the almighty reigns! How can I even praise Him enough? 

No comments: