Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

I love Robert Frost

I found this one accidentally. And have resolved that it is one of my favorite quotations yet. By Robert Frost, no less. "I alone of English writers have consciously set myself to make music out of what I may call the sound of sense." It is one thing to speak sense, but it's another thing entirely to take sense and make it music.

It's a joke in my family that I was caught on tape saying "I love Hitler" and therefore will never be able to run for public office. And now I'm further incriminating myself here: I do love Hitler, in a vague way of admiration because (and for heaven's sake, don't stop reading there) Hitler was a man who knew how to make music with his words. He could persuade multitudes to believe things that went against the grain of human conviction. That is truly a feat worthy of respect, though not condonation.

I have learned, I hope, the sound of sense. Because of Christ in me I can recognize truth when I see it, and every day my ears become more attuned to the sound of sense, true sense. But can I make it like music to other's ears? Can I speak the truth with love, conviction, honesty, and passion? I want to consciously set myself to make music out of the sound of sense. That the desires of my heart and the thoughts of my mind would be pleasing to my God.

No comments: