Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Point of Literature

Originally posted to Xanga May 22, 2007

corabeatsthethrowmay22

So we were sitting around the table, on stage, and I was listening to people read their book summaries (Alicia's, specifically) when it hit me. I have learned real, valuable life lessons from these books I've read in class this year.

Old Man and the Sea -- yes, I hated it, but I learned the importance of endurance and perserverance, of faithfulness, of suffering in silence

The Pearl -- greed doesn't pay and ambition is a harsh master

The Great Gatsby -- what not to do! Don't marry people for their money, and don't have an affair. It was a classic example of stupid human depravity, and how to avoid those same pitfalls.

The Glass Menagerie -- make something happen with your life. Don't be so sensitive that you sit on the sidelines waiting for something to happen to you, because it won't happen. You make your life, otherwise other people try and make it for you.

Our Town -- this moment, this second, this minute, this hour, this day, this week, this month, this year -- it's your life. Your life is now and it's ticking away while you sit here and read this. (This was the initial revelation.)

To Kill a Mockingbird -- of course there's a lot to be learned here, but what resignated with me the most was how valuable empathy is. If only you saw things from another's perspective.

Alas, Babylon -- a nuclear holocaust might come, so be prepared. :winky: No, really, I learned that we are all codependant, to always be aware of that, and so never take it for granted.

The 5 People You Meet in Heaven -- I didn't like this one either, but I learned that what might seem pointless and worthless and a waste of time could be monumental in the grand scheme of things.

Oh, the wealth of wisdom that are found betwixt the yellowed pages of a dusty book. (Apolo and Julianne won Dancing With the Stars!! Yayz!)

No comments: